Innovation has been the word on everyone’s lips for some time now, in companies and communities, and in a variety of settings. But, when we talk about social innovation, what do we mean? What is social innovation and what is the purpose of the laboratory?
We are talking about "invisible" social innovation; using a new social model to respond to social needs. In this complex era of rapid and profound change in which we find ourselves, we need an alternative for society to meet the challenges of the future. We are talking about transformation, structures and blended solutions based on the well-being and cooperation of people. In the face of today's uncertainties and tomorrow's challenges, frameworks of experimentation are called for to connect the private-public-social sphere, bringing together the experience of the past and the promise of the future.
Arantzazulab is the Social Innovation Laboratory, a hub for citizens to achieve a fairer and more egalitarian society, which promotes research, experimentation and socialization geared towards social and competitive transformation.
The social innovation that we promote in Arantzazulab is grounded in two specific principles and values: community and collaborative governance.
This is our focus. This is what sets us apart. Our own model of social innovation that will transform our country and become a global benchmark.
Arantzazulab will undertake three core activities:
The Laboratory is a transformative project exploring innovative solutions for the four major challenges of our society: coexistence, work, ecological transition and well-being; and starting from the challenges and needs that the society has, we will explore in collaboration new solutions and approaches .
Kick-off projects and initiatives
- Establishing deliberative and participatory processes: research, exploration and experimentation with innovative trends and tools that promote processes of listening, deliberation, and participation for the empowerment of people.
- Promoting a cooperative space to engage in collaborative research, a knowledge generation hub made up of universities and other knowledge entities, in which we will undertake basic and applied research.
- Openness and internationalisation: activation of and participation in international collaboration networks with other social innovation laboratories and entities to learn from advanced international models and generate knowledge.
- Constructing a collaborative network: initiating collaboration with various institutions, associations, social agents, political and community initiatives throughout the country to consolidate relationships and identify synergies.
- Shared experimentation projects: launching initiatives which explore innovative and transformative approaches to address the challenges of Basque society.
- Promoting a co-creation ecosystem which includes an extensive network of social innovation agents.
- Activating training spaces.
Sustainable Development Goals
SDG 3. Health and well-being
Ensuring healthy living and promoting well-being for all people of all ages.
SDG 4. Quality education
Ensuring inclusive and quality education and promoting lifelong learning opportunities for everyone.
SDG 5. Gender equality
Achieving gender equality and empowering all women and girls.
SDG 8. Work and economic growth
Promoting sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
SDG 10. Reducing inequality
Reducing inequality within and between countries.
SDG 13. Climate action
Taking urgent action to combat climate change and its effects.
SDG 16. Peace, justice and solid institutions
Promoting equitable, peaceful and inclusive societies.
SDG 17. Partnerships to achieve the Goal
Revitalizing the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development.