SOCIAL INNOVATION LAB
Arantzazulab was born out of the humanist tradition and values of Arantzazu, and we are committed to our responsibility of continuing to make a valuable contribution to Basque society. We aim to transform Arantzazu into the reference node in social innovation and a hub for people in pursuit of a fairer, more cohesive, competitive and humane society.
What sets us apart? We are a laboratory of social innovation, grounded in the tradition of Arantzazu, but growing with our own unique identity.
This is a laboratory that is dedicated to community development. It serves as a hub for research, exploration and experimentation of instruments of social empowerment. Together we will listen and learn, and together we will strengthen our public-private-social alliances, all from the perspective of collaborative governance.
Arantzazulab was conceived as a collaborative response to the current climate of unprecedented change in which we find ourselves.
How did we get here?
1. CONSENSUS: willingness of key stakeholders in the territory to collaborate.
2. RESPONSIBILITY: a contribution of value for Basque society in the spirit of the tradition of Arantzazu.
3. CONTEXT: an era of far-reaching transformation. The new challenges of the future demand innovative responses.
4. COOPERATION: proposals arising from collaboration between people, agents and institutions. A public-private-social alliance.
5. SUBJECT: People. Collaborative Governance. People at the epicentre of the political agenda.
6. HUB: a space for "listening and mutual learning" centred on people, with the values of Arantzazu at its heart.
7. COUNTRY LEVEL PROJECT: a joint response from wide-ranging Basque Country stakeholders, a community project.
Transform Arantzazu into a benchmark in social innovation and a hub for the people, to achieve a fairer, more cohesive, competitive and humane society.
- Community development: facilitating participation and empowering people.
- Ecosystem creation: building a collaborative network.
- Openness and internationalisation: learning from advanced international models and generating knowledge.
- Research, training and delivering new knowledge to society.
VALUES AND PRINCIPLES OF ARANTZAZULAB
What sets us apart from the rest?
1. The human tradition and values of Arantzazu
- A project in keeping with the popular, transformative and innovative spirit of Arantzazu.
- A project that upholds the tradition and symbolic strength of Arantzazu by placing people at the centre.
- A social innovation laboratory with a responsibility for adding value to Basque society.
2. Public participation and community development.
- A project that explores systems to effectively respond to the needs of Basque people and society.
- A hub for research, exploration and experimentation of community tools.
- A project that promotes new spaces for listening and sharing the values and needs of the community.
3. Collaborative governance:
- A new governance model for the future.
- A space to put ideas and actions into practice, explore new ways of working, with the purpose of experimenting and developing shared projects.
- A hub for "listening and mutual learning", further strengthening the governance of public-private-social alliances.
Based on the Collaborative Governance model, Arantzazulab is the product of collaboration between numerous stakeholders. Led by a Management Committee, and with the collaboration of the Advisory Board, it will develop the strategic roadmap for the creation of an innovative public-private-social alliance.
Board of Directors
We are a team of multidisciplinary and highly experienced professionals who passionately believe that social innovation is key to the transformation of society. We are deeply committed to our pursuit of a fairer and more cohesive world, and we take our first steps forward on this journey with enthusiasm and excitement.
"We must strive to deliver innovative solutions and a new approach to the challenges we have as a society: through participatory processes, empowering people as well as institutions, and fostering collaboration".
— Naiara Goia
"Arantzazulab will be a hub in which we can reflect, experiment, research, generate and disseminate knowledge about social challenges".
— Naiara Goia
"This laboratory is open to the world. We want to learn from advanced international experiences and tap into their knowledge. But we also seek to expand our local model of sustainable human development and position ourselves on the world stage".
— Naiara Goia
Arantzazu Gaur Foundation
Founded in 2008, the Arantzazu Gaur Foundation is made up of the Franciscan Order of Arantzazu, the Provincial Council of Gipuzkoa, Oñati Town Council, the MONDRAGON Corporation and Kutxa Foundation. It promotes, manages and coordinates the promotion and revitalisation of Arantzazu, taking into account both the historical identity of the Sanctuary and Franciscan principles. Arantzazulab now represents the central hub of the foundation, and additional activities such as promotion and revitalisation of Arantzazu's heritage, management and operation of the Gandiaga Topagunea Conference Centre, etc, will also be incorporated into its operations.
Over the centuries Arantzazu has become a symbol for the Basque people, an intersection of culture, our language, architecture, humanism, spirituality and our passion for the great outdoors. An inexhaustible source of social values, Arantzazu has always been a place for brave new endeavours.
Arantzazulab represents an opportunity to continue in this tradition, and make a valuable contribution to our territory in the 21st century.
Arantzazu is built upon the humanist tradition and the values intrinsic to the human condition. But what are these values? After careful exploration we believe the them to be:
1. THE WELL-BEING OF PEOPLE: people take centre stage. Empathy.
2. COLLABORATION: separation of powers, shared decision-making centres and collective authority. Creating community in collaboration.
3. A HUB FOR DIVERSITY: a space where diverse sensibilities and perspectives meet.
4. OF THE PEOPLE AND FOR THE PEOPLE: participation of people and at the service of the people.
5. SPIRITUALITY: strengthening spirituality and inclusive of different spiritualities. Searching for the meaning of life.
6. INNOVATION: a transformative approach for the future. An innovative outlook.
7. CULTURE AND THE BASQUE LANGUAGE: an innovative source and promoter of Basque culture.
8. CRITICAL SPIRIT: the ability to distance ourselves from the beliefs we have embraced/adopted over the course of our lives.